Thursday, August 10, 2017

EMT Training: Get to a corner stat!

Firefighter Chris Tobin recently posted a tweet that discussed strategy for fires. Anyone knows me, knows that I like to take information and figure out how it can help others. If any kind of Police information, Fire Information, or EMS information can not be put to good use then it is worthless to me. In the years that I have worked as an Emergency Medical Respondant, I have only been in one fire. Thankfully it was only a kitchen fire that I had to help someone put out. 

Chris Tobin caused me to think about a scene though. I know that not many EMT or Paramedics will be inside a building while it is burning. Most of the time Firefighters who are trained in search and rescue bring them out of the blaze. What if it were to happen? What if the safety of the patient, team partner, and yourself was to take action and head to the roof. Should EMS stand in the middle the roof for air rescue? Or should people take stand at the corners of the roof.

The lesson learned is that any roof corner where someone can see you is the best place to be. The corners of a roof are structurally stronger in the event of a fire. Corners are also easier to get equipment up to those who are trapped on a roof because there are now two sides of escape.

It's not likely that an EMT, Paramedic, or EMS team would get trapped on a roof. Now we all have a little bit of EMS information to store away just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment